making paddles

• 9 posts
    April 9, 2019 3:49 AM PDT
    I know there's places to buy them . They are drying up for traditional wooden paddles . It may make a few bucks . However the custom design I've saw for specific people is nice . That and.it could. Be good to know that person if you break one lol .
    • 198 posts
    April 20, 2019 7:07 AM PDT

I still make a few.  Not like years ago, but still produce and sell exotic wood paddles.

• 9 posts
    April 22, 2019 5:56 AM PDT
    Yep just like that, if we have a few people we know on Maybe a short list might come in handy thanks for the reply cowboy
    • 9 posts
    April 22, 2019 5:57 AM PDT
    Nice profile pic too
    • 198 posts
    April 22, 2019 6:16 AM PDT

Thanks

• 92 posts
    May 3, 2019 6:53 PM PDT
    One of the most intense stories I heard from my youth was a guy who got paddled in another state. Met him after high school. Shop teacher wore him out in 8th grade. Told him he was gonna get it and then stepped out into the shop and made the thing. That had to be intense!! Had to wait and then
    • 92 posts
    May 3, 2019 6:54 PM PDT
    One of the most intense stories I heard from my youth was a guy who got paddled in another state. Met him after high school. Shop teacher wore him out in 8th grade. Told him he was gonna get it and then stepped out into the shop and made the thing. That had to be intense!! Had to wait and then
    • 198 posts
    August 30, 2019 12:19 PM PDT

We made several wood paddles for the Phys Ed teachers in wood shop class.   Can't be sure, but I would not doubt I was paddled with one I actually made.

This post was edited by cowboy at August 30, 2019 12:21 PM PDT
    • 7 posts
    November 30, 2019 7:08 PM PST

This string brings back old memories.  Our wood shop teacher had you make your own paddle if he decided to give you a spanking.  I was never on the receiving end, but a couple of my friends were.  Pretty intense experience for them, from start to end. The teacher provided the design and you got spanked with it when finished.  Oh, the things we dreaded when young and now look forward to.  I think naps have been said to fall into the same category. lol

• 198 posts
    December 1, 2019 7:35 AM PST

Right, Redtail.  I recall seeing a 'T' shirt at a spanko event, proudly stating....  Two things I hated as a child, I love as an adult....Vegetables and Spankings.

• 12 posts
    January 6, 2020 8:55 AM PST

I made custom paddles for 2 or 3 years. Always wondered what the recipients thought!

• ED
    • 91 posts
    January 15, 2020 7:10 AM PST

I'm a woodworker.  But I gave up wood for Lexan some years ago.  I occasionally make them for friends in different shapes.  The nice part is that woodworking tools work well for Lexan.  although drilling holes needs care to be taken.

• 198 posts
    January 15, 2020 7:39 AM PST

Being a traditionalist, I prefer and will stick to using exotic woods for my paddle making.  In addition, I dislike being paddled with lexan implements.

• 198 posts
    January 15, 2020 7:39 AM PST

Being a traditionalist, I prefer and will stick to using exotic woods for my paddle making.  In addition, I dislike being paddled with lexan implements.

• 55 posts
    April 22, 2020 11:00 AM PDT

I have made many and broken several over the years.  I am not personally a fan of exotic hardwoods as they tend to be to heavy for my taste.  I prefer Red Cedar, Curly Maple.  Poplar is great as it is not to heavy and will not break although it is not the prettiest wood.

• 12 posts
    April 22, 2020 11:10 AM PDT

I just found some 1/2" ash.......might be offering some for sale shortly.

• 198 posts
    April 23, 2020 6:30 AM PDT

Rick, if you mean northern white ash, I would be interested in a slab or two of that.  I feel 1/2" is a boit thick, but I can plane it down.  As BillnKate point out, 1/2" would make it a bit heavy.  I like and do use curly maple as he also says, red cedar splits to easily for me and he is correct on Poplar, not nice looking, so I paint it instead of staining.